Skip to main content

Kittens and Coffee

My husband and I live in a little beach town down in the southern part of the OBX. On saturdays, the majority of our "neighbors" pack their stuff up and leave for their real homes. On sundays, the new batch of out-of-towners rolls in.
This week was a little different. Saturday came and all the driveways were filled with vehicles and suitcases and small children.  Sunday morning came...along with very empty houses. From what I have seen we got maybe two new weekly tenants, and it looks like there might be about 5 apartments that are actually uses as homes and not short-term rentals. It feels deserted. It's quiet. Almost too quiet.  Winter is coming.

But first, fall.

I'm a New Englander, born and raised, and fall has always been my favorite. The colors, the smells, the hearty foods! I love it! But I a going through a bit of a withdrawal being down here. The closest DD or SBUX to little old Buxton is a 45+minute drive, so a regular flow of PSL's or whatever cozy fall beverage, or just my usual cuppa joe that completes the ritual called coffeeshop, is terribly far and few between...
There's quite a lack of foliage, too...the most orange and red I have seen have been some little bunches of identified flowers that grow all over the sand dunes that line N12.
At the moment the temperature is a little cooler than when I first arrived 3 weeks ago, but this week's forecast has simply called for torrential downpour, while maintaining the high humidity. By this time in the month, back home, it would be in the 70's during the day and 40-50's at night. Crisp, cool, colorful. Sigh...I'm a little homesick, but for now I'll just look at PSL copycat recipe's on pintrest, and gawk at the beautiful photos of new england that my brother takes, which you can also ENJOY, and cuddle with our new family additions.

Two days ago my husband and I ventured up to Nags Head for an excursion to get out of the house, which lead us to the local SPCA. When I left New England to move down with my husband at this duty station, I also left my house full of family and fluffy animals. Now that it's just the two of us it is just too quiet, and desperately lacking fuzzy, cuddly cuties. I had dreams of coming home with a puppy as I am more of a dog person typically.  My husband enjoys dogs, but he absolutely melts into a big-hearted goofball when he has a cat to love. When all was said and done we made the hour drive home with two 5week old kittens in tow. Brother's from the same litter, they are so cute and so active, and I can't help but kiss them and love them and laugh as their mischief causes all sorts of silliness. My fuzzy, cuddle void has been filled, and they are bringing out maternal instincts. They are a fabulous addition to our little family, I can't wait to see how we continue to grow. <3





Merry(on my lap) and Pippin. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

just a new england girl, living in a southern, beach town world.

About 5 months ago I posted about wants Vs. needs, regarding having a job opportunity fall right into my lap and simply being scared to take it. Hard to believe how fast those months have gone by. Now I find myself 5 months into the job and loving it. Never have I worked for such genuine and caring individuals in my life. You know you enjoy your workplace and the people you are with when you are willing and happy to come in early or stay late or even take on an extra day or two that you usually have off. Likewise the weather is much different in affecting the salon down here than at home in New England. We have gone through our first burst of "Tropical Storms" (depression 9 that was named Hurricane Hermine) gave us a Saturday off, as well as a gloomy, almost-fall-like setting.  I close my eyes and listen to the screeches and twills of the gulls and pipers, cormorants and random pelicans, all patrolling the neighborhood after last nights rainfall. I feel the soft ...

Ok, I lied...

Today is actually our last day here. After a frustratingly slow exchange with the woman in charge of long term rentals,  finally we were notified that our new keys and contract were waiting for us at the office, and we could pick them up and start the process of tediously moving boxes 6 apartments down... So at the moment I am currently taking a much needed coffee break, realizing that there is no food(having prepared it that way so we wouldn't have a bunch of leftovers to haul over), and the half and half is a little off, and all my clean clothes are in bags and my house is half in boxes and half all over the place. We stopped at the realty office this morning and grabbed a key for the next apartment and decided to check it out on the way home. It was dark, quiet, empty, and small. The complex we live in is made up of duplexes. The apartment that I am currently packing up, makes up the right side of the house(if you're standing outside looking at the front), the new one is...

baby brain

So I have some good news, I seem to have found a job. Yes, a job, an actual job, where I leave my house and interact with people while holding sharp objects. I'm excited, I really am. But... Yes, there's a "But", there's a big part of me that doesn't want it. The reason is one that seems to be an unusual one for women my age. I want to be a mom. I've always assumed that someday I'd settle down and do the whole raising a family thing, in that way that I think most everybody does. A couple years ago I was a little surprised to find that when I had a bad day at work (you know, the kind that leaves you miserable,  feeling like you want to cry, and wondering why you even bother) I would come home and usually wind up in my mom's room, snuggled up with her and letting the tears come when they needed. And I would wish that that was my job. To be the one doing the comforting and the loving on. To have the arms whose comforting hold is sought out on ...