Skip to main content

No rest for the weary

Shouldn't have done it. I should not have done it.

There I sat, rocking back and forth with a small child on my chest. He's asleep, limbs limp, drool flowing, little chest gently rising and falling. To my right sat my coffee cup only about 8 inches out of reach.  The sleep we had last night was mediocre at best, so why wouldn't he continue to nap now?

I stand up, walking slowly to the pack n play, and carefully lay him down. As that little body touched down and my arms slowly released...

Suddenly two large brown eyes stared widely accusing at me.

And now we are here. The child has been wide awake since 6:30 am. Twice he has drifted off in my arms and twice I have been given glares of betrayal when I have tried to put him down. We are approaching 6 hours of crankiness.

A parenting app on my phone informs me that at 10 months old my child could be sleeping "11-13 hours a night". A Facebook friend excitedly shares that her 8 week old slept 11 hours straight through the night.

This boy has found his freedom. Crawling. Standing occasionally. His spacial awareness grows by the hour turning his pack n play and crib into a prison enclosure which he is rarely fond of. We are fighting a new tooth attempting to break through, and a curious mind that does not want to stop exploring for even a second.

I think about how my mom had her first baby at 31, and 10 years later she had her fourth and last. I think about the energy level that I'm at right now and wonder how on earth she did it. I wonder how crazy am I for even thinking about a second one.

Obviously it's not impossible. Obviously it can still be a little crazy. Obviously my house will never be as clean as I wish it to be and will always have an element of chaos because: such is life.
I'm tired. I am so tired. Going on three days without a shower, but at least I've changed my underwear. Coffee number two is inevitable. 7 microwaved chicken nuggets are sustaining me at the moment. And now that the boy is finally down for a nap I don't even know where to begin on my long list of "needs to be done" so for now I'll just sit and enjoy the quiet that I know will not last.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

just a new england girl, living in a southern, beach town world.

About 5 months ago I posted about wants Vs. needs, regarding having a job opportunity fall right into my lap and simply being scared to take it. Hard to believe how fast those months have gone by. Now I find myself 5 months into the job and loving it. Never have I worked for such genuine and caring individuals in my life. You know you enjoy your workplace and the people you are with when you are willing and happy to come in early or stay late or even take on an extra day or two that you usually have off. Likewise the weather is much different in affecting the salon down here than at home in New England. We have gone through our first burst of "Tropical Storms" (depression 9 that was named Hurricane Hermine) gave us a Saturday off, as well as a gloomy, almost-fall-like setting.  I close my eyes and listen to the screeches and twills of the gulls and pipers, cormorants and random pelicans, all patrolling the neighborhood after last nights rainfall. I feel the soft ...

Ok, I lied...

Today is actually our last day here. After a frustratingly slow exchange with the woman in charge of long term rentals,  finally we were notified that our new keys and contract were waiting for us at the office, and we could pick them up and start the process of tediously moving boxes 6 apartments down... So at the moment I am currently taking a much needed coffee break, realizing that there is no food(having prepared it that way so we wouldn't have a bunch of leftovers to haul over), and the half and half is a little off, and all my clean clothes are in bags and my house is half in boxes and half all over the place. We stopped at the realty office this morning and grabbed a key for the next apartment and decided to check it out on the way home. It was dark, quiet, empty, and small. The complex we live in is made up of duplexes. The apartment that I am currently packing up, makes up the right side of the house(if you're standing outside looking at the front), the new one is...

Postpartum Healing

So real quick. Postpartum and healing. This is something that's been on my mind a lot lately since I just had a baby and quite a few of my friends have too or are about to. . Recently we were home for Thanksgiving. A friend of mine just gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, her first. We had a wonderful visit with her sweet, new little family. When we got back to where we were staying that evening, someone asked me how she was doing and if she was all "healed".  I said she was doing really great, and really happy, but as to the second question I looked to the asker in confusion. What do you mean by "healed"? Physically. They wanted to know if physically she had made a complete recovery. I'm pretty sure my face hid none of my unamused glare. First of all, 5 days postpartum you're still walking like you just had a baby... because you did. Second of all, that's no one's business. I used this moment to educate the men in the room about wha...