Skip to main content

Kitchen Creativity



When people find out that my husband is a cook in the Coast Guard they assume one of two things;
  • He sets out MREs at the station and that is his cooking
  • He does all the cooking at home and we eat fantastically
Well, he does not simply put boxes of MREs (Meals Ready to Eat) out on the counter for all the men and woman at the station. He prepares whatever is on the menu that day, sometimes having to get a little creative if his FS1 hasn't gone shopping to replenish needed ingredients. Everybody loves him and his food, and he loves what he does.

However, at home the majority of cooking is done by yours truly, and yes, it is pretty fantastic most of the time. I enjoy cooking, and I only have to make meals for the two of us( something that has taken a while to get used to). I have a system and try to switch between meals of chicken, mainly veggies, and ground beef, always making enough to give us a couple days of leftovers. Anything to stretch our meals and avoid unnecessary grocery shopping. 

Occasionally I get creative and decide to play a bit in the kitchen. Last week I had one of those days. I took a chance and damn was it good. My husband stood and watched as I put the meal together without giving him any instructions other than to cut potatoes for me. 

With weigh-ins coming up pretty soon we've been trying to make healthy "skinny" meals. So I have been substituting a lot of my milk and cream use by adding coconut milk instead, which from what I've read seems to have a lot of great health benefits, is creamy, and not quite as "fattening" as regular dairy. 

Below is the recipe I threw together for what I'm calling Herbed Lemon Chicken. Play around with it if you find you need something for dinner, let me know what you think. I'll definitely be making this again. 


Herbed Chicken with coconut milk

Ingredients
  • 1large chicken breast (I was only cooking for two so that was all we needed)
  • 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1.5 C. chicken base/broth (personal favorite is Better Than Bouillon) 
  • 3 TBS coconut oil (can substitute with butter or Olive oil)
  • 2-3TBS coconut or olive oil (to coat chicken with)
  • 3-4 TBS flour 
  • 2 tsp ground Sage
  • 2 tsp Rosemary 
  • 2 tsp Parsley
  • 1.5 tsp Thyme 
  • 1.5 tsp cayenne pepper (if you’re feeling spicy)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 1 C. of cut green beans (fresh or frozen)
  • 1 C. Cauliflower (fresh or frozen) 
  • 4 or so Red Potatoes (unpeeled and cut in bite sized cubes)
  • 1 whole lemon



Directions
Preheat oven to 375.
In a large skillet heat 3 TBS coconut oil on Med. heat, adding flour one TBS at a time, whisking to combine.  Continue whisking for a couple minutes until it doesn’t smell like flour. Slowly the coconut milk, whisking constantly. Pour in the chicken base until you reach your desired consistency(I used about a cup). Mix salt and pepper generously, and about half of the herbs and spices into the sauce/gravy, and let simmer on low.  

Chop potatoes into small cubes and stir into skillet along with green beans and cauliflower, continue to simmer. 

Cut chicken (I cut into long, thin strips) and place into a large Ziploc bag. Pour in the 2-3TBS Coconut oil(melted. or olive oil) and the rest of your herbs and spices over the chicken. Seal bag, shake to coat. 

I used a large cast iron skillet and placed the chicken evenly over the surface of the sauce already in the skillet, allowing me to go from stove top to oven and not dirty any more dishes. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, prepare a large casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour your coconut milk mixture into dish and layer evenly with herb coated chicken. 
Slice lemon and distribute over chicken. 


Bake for 35 minutes, covered, and then an additional 25-30minutes, uncovered. 
*Always check your chicken to make sure it meats the proper temperature requirements before serving 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year In Review

It's that time of year. The time when I open up this blog and realize that a whole year has passed without a single post!  So, if my toddler naps long enough, perhaps I can bang out a post about what my little family has been up to in the last 12 months. The start of 2019 was rough on the Logans of NJ. Our Oldest son, Theodore, carried a cold with him into the new year. One of those lovely childhood diseases that are all the rage, Rosalea. And when he's sick, he is S I C K.  Along with that there was the matter of the government shutdown which caused us to pinch pennies more than usual so we could afford to pay our bills and buy our groceries. We were not able to buy T any birthday presents because of it, but thankfully our own parents stepped in and threw him a wonderful little party to celebrate turning 2. We experienced what a supportive community we live in, and also got to reconnect with a coast guard friend who was passing through the area. This year Mr. T not only cel

Solitude. Flood. Pain

Do you ever have one of those days, or weeks, or months, where no matter what obstacle is thrown in your way here and there you just push through and continue on your way until all of a sudden you just hit that wall and everything comes crashing down? That is currently where I'm at now. solitude  | ˈsäləˌt(y)o͞od |  noun the   state   or  situation of being  alone :  she savored her few hours of freedom and solitude . •  a lonely or uninhabited place . ORIGIN  Middle English : from  Old French , or from  Latin  solitudo , from  solus  ‘ alone . ’ A couple weeks after moving here and settling into the routine of coastguard life on the island I realized something that made my heart sink.  I was alone, and only one other human being on this island knew my name.  And I realized I was very out of practice in the art of going forth and meeting people, for it had been years upon years that I actually had to do that, and I thought (not for the first time) I'm not

baby brain

So I have some good news, I seem to have found a job. Yes, a job, an actual job, where I leave my house and interact with people while holding sharp objects. I'm excited, I really am. But... Yes, there's a "But", there's a big part of me that doesn't want it. The reason is one that seems to be an unusual one for women my age. I want to be a mom. I've always assumed that someday I'd settle down and do the whole raising a family thing, in that way that I think most everybody does. A couple years ago I was a little surprised to find that when I had a bad day at work (you know, the kind that leaves you miserable,  feeling like you want to cry, and wondering why you even bother) I would come home and usually wind up in my mom's room, snuggled up with her and letting the tears come when they needed. And I would wish that that was my job. To be the one doing the comforting and the loving on. To have the arms whose comforting hold is sought out on