Skip to main content

mug memories

Ok, so I know it's not Monday, but it's been a while since #mugmonday happened around here.  I can't remember if I've shared this mug already, but the weather is giving me wicked New England vibes, and this mug conjures up such visions as well. I can't use this mug without remembering walking down old, old streets of a fishing village on the Massachusetts coast. Like Rockport, but I'm not sure if that's where it was. Like today, fog hung thick in the air, casting a mysteriousness over everything. 


My family had driven the couple of hours to visit my brother for the day. He went to college up in Wenham, MA and it was always a treat to see him. 


I remember wandering into a little shop called the Wicked Peacock and purchasing a small piece of jewelry, though I can't for the life of me me remember what it might've been now. Down an alley there was a little art shop, and next to it was an open faced studio filled floor to ceiling with pottery. 


I walked around the dimly lit space and marveled at all the beautifully hand-crafted pieces. Most of them in similarly varied shades of purples and blues. I held this particular mug in my hand. The shape fit comfortably, and the color was a little memorizing. I brought it to the shop owner and realized he was also the Potter. He complimented my choice (as any artist would. A little nod to their own passion) and I remember him stating "I am very into periwinkle this season. I just can't stop!" 


As I thanked him and left I definitely felt I had just had a somewhat eccentric experience. To this day when I think about it, it almost seems like a scene out of Harry Potter. 


Anyone else have little treasures that just whisk you back to a certain memory in a vivid way? Sometimes I swear I can even smell the salty brine of the ocean air. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postpartum Healing

So real quick. Postpartum and healing. This is something that's been on my mind a lot lately since I just had a baby and quite a few of my friends have too or are about to. . Recently we were home for Thanksgiving. A friend of mine just gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, her first. We had a wonderful visit with her sweet, new little family. When we got back to where we were staying that evening, someone asked me how she was doing and if she was all "healed".  I said she was doing really great, and really happy, but as to the second question I looked to the asker in confusion. What do you mean by "healed"? Physically. They wanted to know if physically she had made a complete recovery. I'm pretty sure my face hid none of my unamused glare. First of all, 5 days postpartum you're still walking like you just had a baby... because you did. Second of all, that's no one's business. I used this moment to educate the men in the room about wha...

just a new england girl, living in a southern, beach town world.

About 5 months ago I posted about wants Vs. needs, regarding having a job opportunity fall right into my lap and simply being scared to take it. Hard to believe how fast those months have gone by. Now I find myself 5 months into the job and loving it. Never have I worked for such genuine and caring individuals in my life. You know you enjoy your workplace and the people you are with when you are willing and happy to come in early or stay late or even take on an extra day or two that you usually have off. Likewise the weather is much different in affecting the salon down here than at home in New England. We have gone through our first burst of "Tropical Storms" (depression 9 that was named Hurricane Hermine) gave us a Saturday off, as well as a gloomy, almost-fall-like setting.  I close my eyes and listen to the screeches and twills of the gulls and pipers, cormorants and random pelicans, all patrolling the neighborhood after last nights rainfall. I feel the soft ...

Ok, I lied...

Today is actually our last day here. After a frustratingly slow exchange with the woman in charge of long term rentals,  finally we were notified that our new keys and contract were waiting for us at the office, and we could pick them up and start the process of tediously moving boxes 6 apartments down... So at the moment I am currently taking a much needed coffee break, realizing that there is no food(having prepared it that way so we wouldn't have a bunch of leftovers to haul over), and the half and half is a little off, and all my clean clothes are in bags and my house is half in boxes and half all over the place. We stopped at the realty office this morning and grabbed a key for the next apartment and decided to check it out on the way home. It was dark, quiet, empty, and small. The complex we live in is made up of duplexes. The apartment that I am currently packing up, makes up the right side of the house(if you're standing outside looking at the front), the new one is...