Skip to main content

No rest for the weary

Shouldn't have done it. I should not have done it.

There I sat, rocking back and forth with a small child on my chest. He's asleep, limbs limp, drool flowing, little chest gently rising and falling. To my right sat my coffee cup only about 8 inches out of reach.  The sleep we had last night was mediocre at best, so why wouldn't he continue to nap now?

I stand up, walking slowly to the pack n play, and carefully lay him down. As that little body touched down and my arms slowly released...

Suddenly two large brown eyes stared widely accusing at me.

And now we are here. The child has been wide awake since 6:30 am. Twice he has drifted off in my arms and twice I have been given glares of betrayal when I have tried to put him down. We are approaching 6 hours of crankiness.

A parenting app on my phone informs me that at 10 months old my child could be sleeping "11-13 hours a night". A Facebook friend excitedly shares that her 8 week old slept 11 hours straight through the night.

This boy has found his freedom. Crawling. Standing occasionally. His spacial awareness grows by the hour turning his pack n play and crib into a prison enclosure which he is rarely fond of. We are fighting a new tooth attempting to break through, and a curious mind that does not want to stop exploring for even a second.

I think about how my mom had her first baby at 31, and 10 years later she had her fourth and last. I think about the energy level that I'm at right now and wonder how on earth she did it. I wonder how crazy am I for even thinking about a second one.

Obviously it's not impossible. Obviously it can still be a little crazy. Obviously my house will never be as clean as I wish it to be and will always have an element of chaos because: such is life.
I'm tired. I am so tired. Going on three days without a shower, but at least I've changed my underwear. Coffee number two is inevitable. 7 microwaved chicken nuggets are sustaining me at the moment. And now that the boy is finally down for a nap I don't even know where to begin on my long list of "needs to be done" so for now I'll just sit and enjoy the quiet that I know will not last.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year In Review

It's that time of year. The time when I open up this blog and realize that a whole year has passed without a single post!  So, if my toddler naps long enough, perhaps I can bang out a post about what my little family has been up to in the last 12 months. The start of 2019 was rough on the Logans of NJ. Our Oldest son, Theodore, carried a cold with him into the new year. One of those lovely childhood diseases that are all the rage, Rosalea. And when he's sick, he is S I C K.  Along with that there was the matter of the government shutdown which caused us to pinch pennies more than usual so we could afford to pay our bills and buy our groceries. We were not able to buy T any birthday presents because of it, but thankfully our own parents stepped in and threw him a wonderful little party to celebrate turning 2. We experienced what a supportive community we live in, and also got to reconnect with a coast guard friend who was passing through the area. This year Mr. T not only cel

Solitude. Flood. Pain

Do you ever have one of those days, or weeks, or months, where no matter what obstacle is thrown in your way here and there you just push through and continue on your way until all of a sudden you just hit that wall and everything comes crashing down? That is currently where I'm at now. solitude  | ˈsäləˌt(y)o͞od |  noun the   state   or  situation of being  alone :  she savored her few hours of freedom and solitude . •  a lonely or uninhabited place . ORIGIN  Middle English : from  Old French , or from  Latin  solitudo , from  solus  ‘ alone . ’ A couple weeks after moving here and settling into the routine of coastguard life on the island I realized something that made my heart sink.  I was alone, and only one other human being on this island knew my name.  And I realized I was very out of practice in the art of going forth and meeting people, for it had been years upon years that I actually had to do that, and I thought (not for the first time) I'm not

baby brain

So I have some good news, I seem to have found a job. Yes, a job, an actual job, where I leave my house and interact with people while holding sharp objects. I'm excited, I really am. But... Yes, there's a "But", there's a big part of me that doesn't want it. The reason is one that seems to be an unusual one for women my age. I want to be a mom. I've always assumed that someday I'd settle down and do the whole raising a family thing, in that way that I think most everybody does. A couple years ago I was a little surprised to find that when I had a bad day at work (you know, the kind that leaves you miserable,  feeling like you want to cry, and wondering why you even bother) I would come home and usually wind up in my mom's room, snuggled up with her and letting the tears come when they needed. And I would wish that that was my job. To be the one doing the comforting and the loving on. To have the arms whose comforting hold is sought out on