Skip to main content

Call Me Marrah

It's 6pm.  The chicken is taking longer to cook than expected. The potatoes are almost overdone. My beer is sitting on the table getting warm in front of me, I think I opened it about two hours ago. My crying son only wants me. I am dicing tomatoes for my husband who is covering his bloody finger in bandages.

From down the street a neighbor walks over for a haircut...but not from me.

A lump appears in my throat as my chest gets heavy and eyes threaten to leak. I continue dicing tomatoes, fighting all these things, trying to hide any hint of being even just a little upset. I don't know why I bother, G can always tell, especially when my face looks bunched up as I'm sure it did.

After about three denials that something was wrong, a tear finally burst free and I crumbled into a mess in my husbands arms.

I was barely 19 when I graduated school and was officially set on my career path. Now I've been in my field for nearly 8yrs. For a typical woman my age, it is unusual to have already accrued that amount of time and experience in the field of work that you actually went to school for (not to mention most don't graduate their respective schools until at least 21 or 22.)

8 years. That's a long time. And I am good at what I do.  I have worked in very high end salons and big towns, super cuts-esque shops, small town shops where I'm not sure how anyone makes enough to live, shops that see hundreds of people in and out,  and shops that have been around over 40 years that are dead due to a stale clientele.

I love what I do. I'm good at what I do. And I hate that right now I am not doing it.

I hate that right now, all I feel is useless.  And yet what I'm doing is one of the hardest things I have ever done in my whole life. From the minute I wake up to the minute I fall asleep...just kidding, I don't get even that kind of break.  But in the middle of the night when I'm sitting there in the dark for the third feeding of the night, I silently think to myself of all I did before this, and the little I can manage to do now.

I feel stuck. Stuck at home, hiding under piles of laundry that has needed to be put away for weeks, or switched from washer to dryer. Struggling to feel productive other than making sure my kid gets his diaper changed and maybe his clothes, too. Wondering if I'll get the chance to finish my coffee before it's been cold for hours (spoiler, I won't), or if I'll be able to make myself breakfast, lunch, or dinner, or all three.

I'm not sure what these naps are that people keep telling me I should be taking. So if you see one, let me know. I'm pretty sure that even If I did sleep for a whole 8 hours I would still be exhausted.

Because keeping a tiny human alive is really hard work. The smiles and squeaks he makes fill my heart with joy, and I just love him so much...

But then there is the bitterness that I feel as well when I see people walking to my neighbors house for a fresh cut, or when I walk through someone's hallway that seems clear of laundry baskets and cat hair.

The bitterness over my desire and plans of returning to work, at least a little bit, before we pick up and move next year and there is less likelihood of finding a job.

And the frustration that comes over me when my son refuses to take a bottle. All I can think of are the bags of milk in my freezer that I worked hard to pump so that I could have a break, or go to work, or go on a date, and someone else could feed him.

Not every day is like this. But when it hits, it hits hard, and is so good at making me feel small. And it's good at making me forget that what I do is not easy. That what I do is actually terribly hard and unique. I keep this child alive. I feed him, cloth him, bathe him, change him, and most importantly of all, love him. What I do is something no one else can. And there is strength in that.





...But it's on these days most of all that find myself hugging my boy and saying, "I miss my mom."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year In Review

It's that time of year. The time when I open up this blog and realize that a whole year has passed without a single post!  So, if my toddler naps long enough, perhaps I can bang out a post about what my little family has been up to in the last 12 months. The start of 2019 was rough on the Logans of NJ. Our Oldest son, Theodore, carried a cold with him into the new year. One of those lovely childhood diseases that are all the rage, Rosalea. And when he's sick, he is S I C K.  Along with that there was the matter of the government shutdown which caused us to pinch pennies more than usual so we could afford to pay our bills and buy our groceries. We were not able to buy T any birthday presents because of it, but thankfully our own parents stepped in and threw him a wonderful little party to celebrate turning 2. We experienced what a supportive community we live in, and also got to reconnect with a coast guard friend who was passing through the area. This year Mr. T not only cel

Solitude. Flood. Pain

Do you ever have one of those days, or weeks, or months, where no matter what obstacle is thrown in your way here and there you just push through and continue on your way until all of a sudden you just hit that wall and everything comes crashing down? That is currently where I'm at now. solitude  | ˈsäləˌt(y)o͞od |  noun the   state   or  situation of being  alone :  she savored her few hours of freedom and solitude . •  a lonely or uninhabited place . ORIGIN  Middle English : from  Old French , or from  Latin  solitudo , from  solus  ‘ alone . ’ A couple weeks after moving here and settling into the routine of coastguard life on the island I realized something that made my heart sink.  I was alone, and only one other human being on this island knew my name.  And I realized I was very out of practice in the art of going forth and meeting people, for it had been years upon years that I actually had to do that, and I thought (not for the first time) I'm not

baby brain

So I have some good news, I seem to have found a job. Yes, a job, an actual job, where I leave my house and interact with people while holding sharp objects. I'm excited, I really am. But... Yes, there's a "But", there's a big part of me that doesn't want it. The reason is one that seems to be an unusual one for women my age. I want to be a mom. I've always assumed that someday I'd settle down and do the whole raising a family thing, in that way that I think most everybody does. A couple years ago I was a little surprised to find that when I had a bad day at work (you know, the kind that leaves you miserable,  feeling like you want to cry, and wondering why you even bother) I would come home and usually wind up in my mom's room, snuggled up with her and letting the tears come when they needed. And I would wish that that was my job. To be the one doing the comforting and the loving on. To have the arms whose comforting hold is sought out on