Skip to main content

6 more weeks

So we really are in the home stretch now. Tuesday will mark week 34 of 40 weeks of pregnancy. Last night I thought to myself that there are only 6 weeks left...unless this little boy decides to come early like I did, in which case that leaves our little family only 3-4 weeks before his arrival!

The whole time it has seemed so very surreal. It seems like not that long ago that I was still taking pregnancy tests at week 5 just to see those + signs again.
I remember feeling those first little kicks around week 17 and feeling blown away that there really is a little human moving around inside me.
20 weeks along and we had our anatomy scan and seeing him move and feeling it at the same time was almost overwhelming. And then they told us what we had been waiting for, we were having a boy.

When we got in the car to go home that day I asked my hubby how he felt about the appointment. And for one of the first times I think it started to feel real for him. Upon hearing that he would be having a son, G started to tear up, which is big for him. He's a big mush and a sensitive guy,  but when it comes to outwardly showing his personal emotions he plays his cards very close to his chest.

They say that a woman becomes a mother as soon as she finds out that she's expecting, but a man becomes a father once he holds his little one for the first time.

I can see truth in that. As the mother, my life changed immediately once that test turned up positive. The day before we were being beach bums with half the CG station as they celebrated Memorial Day on holiday routine. For the first time in a couple weeks I felt pretty good. I came home from work early, found half the station in my front yard and after a quick smoke bummed from a neighbor we made our way to the ocean and I sat there with a cold, hard cider...

Well, that was the end of that, and life became all about the little one.

Time passed and his kicks and movements got stronger and G was finally able to feel him move from the outside. I think it freaked him out a bit. Somewhere after our 28 week appointment I noticed a change in him. He went from being a sweetheart and all about taking care of his tired uncomfortable wife to also talking more and more about baby.

Little gestures like resting a hand on my belly as we pass each other in the kitchen became more and more frequent. He started day dreaming out loud about what he will look like. For me, to see him start to bond with baby made my heart want to sing! Whether he knows it or not he's started to act more parental towards our animals, even talking to them like they are children. He mentions more often now how excited he is to meet our boy, and as he does so a shy little smile pops onto his face.

One of my favorite moments to date happened about a week ago. The sciatic pain I have experienced during this pregnancy has made me miserable, especially at night when I have to find a comfortable position to somehow fall asleep in.  One night I rolled over the nerve just right that I almost went into tears as the pain shot everywhere.

Even though G was tired after a long day at work he helped me up and continued to try to massage the pain away while we watched an episode of Planet Earth. Once he was done I leaned back on him and we continued watching the show. I held my belly absentmindedly as I am prone to do, and he started just rubbing it in big circles all around. It only took a minute before the baby started pushing back and responding to his daddy's touches. And I could tell that G was seriously in awe and starting to fall in love. Inside my chest my heart melted even more and I think I fell a bit more in love with my husband than I already was.

As much as I am excited to meet our little baby, I think I am just as excited, if not more, to watch this precious man hold him for the first time and really become a dad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year In Review

It's that time of year. The time when I open up this blog and realize that a whole year has passed without a single post!  So, if my toddler naps long enough, perhaps I can bang out a post about what my little family has been up to in the last 12 months. The start of 2019 was rough on the Logans of NJ. Our Oldest son, Theodore, carried a cold with him into the new year. One of those lovely childhood diseases that are all the rage, Rosalea. And when he's sick, he is S I C K.  Along with that there was the matter of the government shutdown which caused us to pinch pennies more than usual so we could afford to pay our bills and buy our groceries. We were not able to buy T any birthday presents because of it, but thankfully our own parents stepped in and threw him a wonderful little party to celebrate turning 2. We experienced what a supportive community we live in, and also got to reconnect with a coast guard friend who was passing through the area. This year Mr. T not only cel

Solitude. Flood. Pain

Do you ever have one of those days, or weeks, or months, where no matter what obstacle is thrown in your way here and there you just push through and continue on your way until all of a sudden you just hit that wall and everything comes crashing down? That is currently where I'm at now. solitude  | ˈsäləˌt(y)o͞od |  noun the   state   or  situation of being  alone :  she savored her few hours of freedom and solitude . •  a lonely or uninhabited place . ORIGIN  Middle English : from  Old French , or from  Latin  solitudo , from  solus  ‘ alone . ’ A couple weeks after moving here and settling into the routine of coastguard life on the island I realized something that made my heart sink.  I was alone, and only one other human being on this island knew my name.  And I realized I was very out of practice in the art of going forth and meeting people, for it had been years upon years that I actually had to do that, and I thought (not for the first time) I'm not

baby brain

So I have some good news, I seem to have found a job. Yes, a job, an actual job, where I leave my house and interact with people while holding sharp objects. I'm excited, I really am. But... Yes, there's a "But", there's a big part of me that doesn't want it. The reason is one that seems to be an unusual one for women my age. I want to be a mom. I've always assumed that someday I'd settle down and do the whole raising a family thing, in that way that I think most everybody does. A couple years ago I was a little surprised to find that when I had a bad day at work (you know, the kind that leaves you miserable,  feeling like you want to cry, and wondering why you even bother) I would come home and usually wind up in my mom's room, snuggled up with her and letting the tears come when they needed. And I would wish that that was my job. To be the one doing the comforting and the loving on. To have the arms whose comforting hold is sought out on