Skip to main content

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Here we are again. Another new year. Between now and my last post my husband and I have been busy bees getting our house cleaned and ready for Christmas time and both of our families visiting. You may think that it wouldn't be that difficult to keep your house clean when there is no furniture to let things pile up on, but we found quite the opposite to be true. No furniture means nowhere to actually put any belongs(such as the boxes on boxes of clothes we had). Eventually everything was contained enough that when our family, arrived baring gifts of couches and chairs and tables found on good ol' Craig's list, we were good to go!

We were so ready to finally have our house filled with cushioned things to rest our weary bones, and maybe those of the friends we are making, but we didn't anticipate something else that would unexpectedly be filling our home and hearts as well as drawing in our new friends.

December 21st.
 Our families pack a huge penske truck with all our earthly belongings and make last minute prep for the journey ahead. G and I drove up the coast to our "local" theater to see the long awaited Star Wars VII! (we loved it by the way) The drive home was full of sighing and arm waving and theorizing. For those of you who don't know, I am married to a geek. SciFi is his jam, and he has read a helluva lot of the star wars expanded universe (or is it extended universe? sorry babe) and knows all the planets and their galaxies, and who lives there, and who came from where, and don't get him started on family trees. So his mind was blown from this one because this was a brand new story, with the exception of just a couple details that were kept and changed ever so slightly, this was a plot he hadn't read or seen yet. 

December 22nd.
We finish up our day of more cleaning, talk more star wars, and settle onto the porch that evening with some drinks. A phone call was made and long conversations were had with a friend back home who shared G's knowledge and enthusiasm of the SW Ext. Universe.  While the boys are gabbing away picking apart conspiracies, I scroll on Facebook, adding my two cents here and there.

BOOM

There it is. 

PUPPIES!

I happened upon a picture posted by the local SPCA where we had gotten our kitties. 5 puppies looking absolutely adorable up for adoption!

 "GREGORY!!!" I screech, bringing his conversation to a halt as I shove the picture in his face. His eyes got wide and a little grin appeared on his face. 
From there the discussion expanded from solely star wars, to star wars and puppy adoption. Knowing that they would go fast we decided to drive up the next morning and be there as soon as the adoption center was open. 
We've wanted a dog, but figured with our kitty cats that a puppy was the way to go so that they grew up with each other. 

December 23rd.
Our family leaves in the early morning to make the rest of their journey here. The two of us make our way to the shelter. We saw the litter that was shown on FB, as well as another in the kennel right next to them, they were guessing them to be a border collie/saint Bernard mix, and the other looked like hounds. These puppies were going to get big, huge, possibly GINORMOUS! (which would be fine, we love big dogs) For some reason I really wanted to hold out for a girl puppy, though. I have a husband and two male cats and really wanted another girl in the house. All but one of these little babies were boys, and that one girl didn't click.  The employee we were talking to informed us that there was another litter besides the two in front of us that was being cleaned up inside. I left G holding one of the "big" puppies, just in case someone wanted him, and ducked inside to see this other litter. A "lab" mix, she said, which really is to say that they really aren't too sure what these puppies might be, but lab is common so... 

And that was it. 
I fell in love...
Three girls, two boys, and one of them was coming home with us.

Meet Penelope "Penny-Pig-Red5" Logan (there was quite the discussion on names)



Here are just some of the ideas of what might be going on here breed-wise.


I could see Lab in her siblings. They were all gold and whitish-blue. Faint markings of similar color on their heads. Penelope was the only one who had these pretty copper and browns on her, too. Initially my mind went to Shepherd/Lab mix, but the more we showed her to people the more we got Husky as a response. We're still not 100% sure, but with a little research we have found her to have a few husky traits. Curled tail, the markings on her face, similar coloring, ears with white on the inside that seem like they are starting to stand up, and she doesn't bark...she HOWLS.

So, now we had a new puppy, our family (unknowing of our new addition) was to arrive in about 3hrs, and we were preparing ourselves for the chaos to come.
All in all everyone did wonderfully. My sister's dog wasn't sure what to do with our house, our cats, or the puppy. The cats hid most of the time, unsure what to do with all the extra people in the house, the new furniture, and TWO dogs! Penny had a ball following everyone around and occasionally picking up Sebastian's leash in her mouth and pulling him around.





Things have calmed down since everyone left for home. The cats and puppy are figuring themselves out under our watchful and wary eyes, but they all seem to be OK. Just curious.


My sister giving Penny some love

Goodbye selfies. We had everyone but one of my brother's and G's sister. 

My youngest brother, now about 6 ft tall.

My sweet mama who I missed so much

One more beach picture. Yes, this was December 27th, and we were sweaty.

can you spot the 2 cats and the puppy?


Now we return to our unpacking and arranging as we adjust to the puppy schedule of house training. 
Welcome Penelope. 

Comments

  1. Welcome Sweet Penelope! We hope in June Sebastian will cooperate with a new playmate!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year In Review

It's that time of year. The time when I open up this blog and realize that a whole year has passed without a single post!  So, if my toddler naps long enough, perhaps I can bang out a post about what my little family has been up to in the last 12 months. The start of 2019 was rough on the Logans of NJ. Our Oldest son, Theodore, carried a cold with him into the new year. One of those lovely childhood diseases that are all the rage, Rosalea. And when he's sick, he is S I C K.  Along with that there was the matter of the government shutdown which caused us to pinch pennies more than usual so we could afford to pay our bills and buy our groceries. We were not able to buy T any birthday presents because of it, but thankfully our own parents stepped in and threw him a wonderful little party to celebrate turning 2. We experienced what a supportive community we live in, and also got to reconnect with a coast guard friend who was passing through the area. This year Mr. T not only cel

Solitude. Flood. Pain

Do you ever have one of those days, or weeks, or months, where no matter what obstacle is thrown in your way here and there you just push through and continue on your way until all of a sudden you just hit that wall and everything comes crashing down? That is currently where I'm at now. solitude  | ˈsäləˌt(y)o͞od |  noun the   state   or  situation of being  alone :  she savored her few hours of freedom and solitude . •  a lonely or uninhabited place . ORIGIN  Middle English : from  Old French , or from  Latin  solitudo , from  solus  ‘ alone . ’ A couple weeks after moving here and settling into the routine of coastguard life on the island I realized something that made my heart sink.  I was alone, and only one other human being on this island knew my name.  And I realized I was very out of practice in the art of going forth and meeting people, for it had been years upon years that I actually had to do that, and I thought (not for the first time) I'm not

baby brain

So I have some good news, I seem to have found a job. Yes, a job, an actual job, where I leave my house and interact with people while holding sharp objects. I'm excited, I really am. But... Yes, there's a "But", there's a big part of me that doesn't want it. The reason is one that seems to be an unusual one for women my age. I want to be a mom. I've always assumed that someday I'd settle down and do the whole raising a family thing, in that way that I think most everybody does. A couple years ago I was a little surprised to find that when I had a bad day at work (you know, the kind that leaves you miserable,  feeling like you want to cry, and wondering why you even bother) I would come home and usually wind up in my mom's room, snuggled up with her and letting the tears come when they needed. And I would wish that that was my job. To be the one doing the comforting and the loving on. To have the arms whose comforting hold is sought out on