Skip to main content

As Sure As The Sun

"As sure as the sun will rise
And takes away the night
His mercy will not end
His mercy will not end
There is good news
There’s a promise
That no matter where you go
You will never be alone
In the dark
In the doubting
When you can’t feel anything
Oh, his love remains the same"

In light of the recent events I took a quick detour in my bible study plan and did what #shereadstruth had for today. They are in the middle of a series that is studying HYMNS and today was "As Sure As The Sun"
Life as an adult has more worries than that of our childhood. Our own lives gain more responsibilities, and we become more aware of all that is happening in the world. Sometimes it feels easier to worry than to trust. 

"Come to me, all who labor
 and are heavy laden, 
and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28

I feel like it's easy to get lost in what is going on, to focus on the "what if's" and "How will I ever's" 
"We often borrow worry from tomorrow. This is a problem God is constantly addressing in our lives."
- #shereadstruth

But just as the sun never fails to rise in the morning, whether clear sky or overcast, God promises that each morning, with each sunrise, He offers new mercies and love unfailing. 

"The steadfast love of the Lord
never ceases;
His mercies never come to an end;
They are new every morning;
Great is your faithfulness.
"The Lord is my portion," 
says my soul
"Therefore I will hope in Him." "
-Lamentations 3:22-24
He knows that our lives get busy, and that things happen that bring us down. Sometimes they're small defeats and sometimes they are earth shattering tragedies, so every morning the sun should remind us of undeserved and unending love and mercies anew. 
We're not promised an easy, problem-free life without suffering. Actually pretty much the opposite, 
"I have said these things to you,
that in me you may have peace.
In this world you will have tribulation.
But take heart;
I have overcome the world."
John 16:33
But you know what we are promised? That he will be present through it all.
"Let us know;
Let us press on to know the Lord;
His going out is sure as
the dawn;
He will come to us as the showers,
as the spring rains
that water the Earth."
-Hosea 6:3
No matter what we are walking through, He will show up and He will be there with us.

On Wednesday I drove my car back from where it had been repaired. THREE HOURS, one way, I drove home stopping here and there for a this and that. I parked that beauty in the driveway and took it back out a couples hours later.

Thursday morning my husband and I hopped into the car with our kitties, planning a trip to the vet. The car won't start. My heart is sunk. It is a mystery why it will not turn on.

Why it was fine, made a long drive, and then died. I don't know what to do now, and all I feel like doing is giving up and crying.
#PersonalStruggle 
My husband got back to our apartment from our journey to get my car late Wednesday night. There was about 10 minutes before I arrived. In that short time gap he received a call from his boss with some bad news.

During an argument, someone from the station had shot himself in the head in front of his wife and kid. Not news that you want to hear after a long trip, and not really something you want to hear at all.

The shock of something like that hits you in the gut, regardless of if you knew the person or not. My husband and I may not be affected by this loss as individuals, but we will be as it ripples through our little island community. 
#CommunityStruggle

Friday night.
We are tired.
Tired of continuing car troubles.
Tired of 11 hour work days.
Tired of days off that turn into anything but.

G is running on very little sleep, a cold coming on, and no hope for a day off until the middle of next week, when he can finally sleep until the sun goes down if he really wanted. And at this point, I would not deny him that. 
The sun has set, the darkness causing an illusion of time being later than it really is. The floor has become our nesting place due to our massive lack of furniture, and as we were settling in for the night to watch one of our favorite YouTube series, an article on FaceBook catches my eye. 
Terrorists have attacked Paris. 
What I read was devastating. My heart was breaking over seeing what another human, or group of humans, could do to others. How radicals who are said to claim peace as a grounding point in their religion cause such chaos, and turmoil, and mourning.

 And you know what? We are told this is how the world will be, and that this is unfortunately just the beginning. 
#WorldStruggle

"Even through the night
Silver stars will shine
Hope of glory’s light
That will wake us once again
As sure as the sun will rise
And takes away the night
As sure as the sun will rise
His mercy will not end
His mercy will not end"

So, it's scary, and it's devastating, but there is a promise. And as hard as it may be, we must hold onto it. 
My unresolved car issues certainly affect me, my day, my thoughts and mood, but it could be worse. 

It is nothing compared to watching yourself become a widow and your children fatherless.
It is nothing.
And that is heartbreaking, but just a small ripple in the wake of news of what is happening around the world, albeit much, much more close to home.  
Finding peace is hard, and maybe not what you're emotionally ready for at this very moment, but it is there.

 Whether it's car troubles, the loss of a loved one, or many strangers in another nation; He is present. You are not left alone.









Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year In Review

It's that time of year. The time when I open up this blog and realize that a whole year has passed without a single post!  So, if my toddler naps long enough, perhaps I can bang out a post about what my little family has been up to in the last 12 months. The start of 2019 was rough on the Logans of NJ. Our Oldest son, Theodore, carried a cold with him into the new year. One of those lovely childhood diseases that are all the rage, Rosalea. And when he's sick, he is S I C K.  Along with that there was the matter of the government shutdown which caused us to pinch pennies more than usual so we could afford to pay our bills and buy our groceries. We were not able to buy T any birthday presents because of it, but thankfully our own parents stepped in and threw him a wonderful little party to celebrate turning 2. We experienced what a supportive community we live in, and also got to reconnect with a coast guard friend who was passing through the area. This year Mr. T not only cel

Solitude. Flood. Pain

Do you ever have one of those days, or weeks, or months, where no matter what obstacle is thrown in your way here and there you just push through and continue on your way until all of a sudden you just hit that wall and everything comes crashing down? That is currently where I'm at now. solitude  | ˈsäləˌt(y)o͞od |  noun the   state   or  situation of being  alone :  she savored her few hours of freedom and solitude . •  a lonely or uninhabited place . ORIGIN  Middle English : from  Old French , or from  Latin  solitudo , from  solus  ‘ alone . ’ A couple weeks after moving here and settling into the routine of coastguard life on the island I realized something that made my heart sink.  I was alone, and only one other human being on this island knew my name.  And I realized I was very out of practice in the art of going forth and meeting people, for it had been years upon years that I actually had to do that, and I thought (not for the first time) I'm not

baby brain

So I have some good news, I seem to have found a job. Yes, a job, an actual job, where I leave my house and interact with people while holding sharp objects. I'm excited, I really am. But... Yes, there's a "But", there's a big part of me that doesn't want it. The reason is one that seems to be an unusual one for women my age. I want to be a mom. I've always assumed that someday I'd settle down and do the whole raising a family thing, in that way that I think most everybody does. A couple years ago I was a little surprised to find that when I had a bad day at work (you know, the kind that leaves you miserable,  feeling like you want to cry, and wondering why you even bother) I would come home and usually wind up in my mom's room, snuggled up with her and letting the tears come when they needed. And I would wish that that was my job. To be the one doing the comforting and the loving on. To have the arms whose comforting hold is sought out on