Skip to main content

Kittens and Coffee

My husband and I live in a little beach town down in the southern part of the OBX. On saturdays, the majority of our "neighbors" pack their stuff up and leave for their real homes. On sundays, the new batch of out-of-towners rolls in.
This week was a little different. Saturday came and all the driveways were filled with vehicles and suitcases and small children.  Sunday morning came...along with very empty houses. From what I have seen we got maybe two new weekly tenants, and it looks like there might be about 5 apartments that are actually uses as homes and not short-term rentals. It feels deserted. It's quiet. Almost too quiet.  Winter is coming.

But first, fall.

I'm a New Englander, born and raised, and fall has always been my favorite. The colors, the smells, the hearty foods! I love it! But I a going through a bit of a withdrawal being down here. The closest DD or SBUX to little old Buxton is a 45+minute drive, so a regular flow of PSL's or whatever cozy fall beverage, or just my usual cuppa joe that completes the ritual called coffeeshop, is terribly far and few between...
There's quite a lack of foliage, too...the most orange and red I have seen have been some little bunches of identified flowers that grow all over the sand dunes that line N12.
At the moment the temperature is a little cooler than when I first arrived 3 weeks ago, but this week's forecast has simply called for torrential downpour, while maintaining the high humidity. By this time in the month, back home, it would be in the 70's during the day and 40-50's at night. Crisp, cool, colorful. Sigh...I'm a little homesick, but for now I'll just look at PSL copycat recipe's on pintrest, and gawk at the beautiful photos of new england that my brother takes, which you can also ENJOY, and cuddle with our new family additions.

Two days ago my husband and I ventured up to Nags Head for an excursion to get out of the house, which lead us to the local SPCA. When I left New England to move down with my husband at this duty station, I also left my house full of family and fluffy animals. Now that it's just the two of us it is just too quiet, and desperately lacking fuzzy, cuddly cuties. I had dreams of coming home with a puppy as I am more of a dog person typically.  My husband enjoys dogs, but he absolutely melts into a big-hearted goofball when he has a cat to love. When all was said and done we made the hour drive home with two 5week old kittens in tow. Brother's from the same litter, they are so cute and so active, and I can't help but kiss them and love them and laugh as their mischief causes all sorts of silliness. My fuzzy, cuddle void has been filled, and they are bringing out maternal instincts. They are a fabulous addition to our little family, I can't wait to see how we continue to grow. <3





Merry(on my lap) and Pippin. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year In Review

It's that time of year. The time when I open up this blog and realize that a whole year has passed without a single post!  So, if my toddler naps long enough, perhaps I can bang out a post about what my little family has been up to in the last 12 months. The start of 2019 was rough on the Logans of NJ. Our Oldest son, Theodore, carried a cold with him into the new year. One of those lovely childhood diseases that are all the rage, Rosalea. And when he's sick, he is S I C K.  Along with that there was the matter of the government shutdown which caused us to pinch pennies more than usual so we could afford to pay our bills and buy our groceries. We were not able to buy T any birthday presents because of it, but thankfully our own parents stepped in and threw him a wonderful little party to celebrate turning 2. We experienced what a supportive community we live in, and also got to reconnect with a coast guard friend who was passing through the area. This year Mr. T not only cel

Solitude. Flood. Pain

Do you ever have one of those days, or weeks, or months, where no matter what obstacle is thrown in your way here and there you just push through and continue on your way until all of a sudden you just hit that wall and everything comes crashing down? That is currently where I'm at now. solitude  | ˈsäləˌt(y)o͞od |  noun the   state   or  situation of being  alone :  she savored her few hours of freedom and solitude . •  a lonely or uninhabited place . ORIGIN  Middle English : from  Old French , or from  Latin  solitudo , from  solus  ‘ alone . ’ A couple weeks after moving here and settling into the routine of coastguard life on the island I realized something that made my heart sink.  I was alone, and only one other human being on this island knew my name.  And I realized I was very out of practice in the art of going forth and meeting people, for it had been years upon years that I actually had to do that, and I thought (not for the first time) I'm not

baby brain

So I have some good news, I seem to have found a job. Yes, a job, an actual job, where I leave my house and interact with people while holding sharp objects. I'm excited, I really am. But... Yes, there's a "But", there's a big part of me that doesn't want it. The reason is one that seems to be an unusual one for women my age. I want to be a mom. I've always assumed that someday I'd settle down and do the whole raising a family thing, in that way that I think most everybody does. A couple years ago I was a little surprised to find that when I had a bad day at work (you know, the kind that leaves you miserable,  feeling like you want to cry, and wondering why you even bother) I would come home and usually wind up in my mom's room, snuggled up with her and letting the tears come when they needed. And I would wish that that was my job. To be the one doing the comforting and the loving on. To have the arms whose comforting hold is sought out on